Stay Informed!Subscribe to information and news updates related to farming, food and health issues, click here!
“The money and political power of Wall Street has stolen America’s food system, bankrupted our farmers and ranchers, mined our soils, polluted our environment, wasted our precious water, and left us with expensive industrially produced food that makes us sick.” – Occupy Wall Street Food Day, December 2011
Above: Ranching Reboot – Episode 4 – Mike Callicrate, owner of Ranch Foods Direct, sat down with us to talk about all manner of things from cattle markets, to public food spaces, the Bander, his feedlot and the pathway he built to market.
He shares valuable lessons learned from fighting against the commodity production system and how he’s built his own pathway to the consumer.
We talk about small community slaughter plants and public meat spaces and what that could look like going in to the future. We discuss environmental challenges, the food police and what it means when a Dollar General comes to town.
Mike’s Social Media
Live Twitter FeedMy Tweets
- This Cattleman's Got A Beef
Photo: Sean Cayton - 2003People producing good food from happy animals, while improving the environment, shouldn’t have to fear the government.
Photo above featured in a 2003 article: This cattleman's got a beef, Mike Callicrate and Ranch Foods Direct take on the big meat packersby Kathryn Eastburn
- BIG Food Exposed
Food Policy & LawE. Coli Confessions Part I
by John Munsell | Oct 11, 2011
Editor's Note: This is the first part in a series written by John Munsell of Miles City, MT, who explains how the small meat plant his family owned for 59 years ran afoul of USDA's meat inspection program. The events he writes about began a decade ago, but remain relevant today.
They say that confession is good for the soul. I've been involved in a series of ugly events since my plant in 2002 recalled 270 pounds of ground beef contaminated with E.coli O157:H7 and now want to admit the embarrassing truth for public review. more
- advanced meat recovery
- beef checkoff
- Big Food
- Callicrate Beef
- Callicrate Cattle Co.
- Colorado Springs
- Dudley Butler
- e. coli
- Eric Schlosser
- fast food nation
- food Inc.
- Industrial Agriculture
- meat packers
- Mike Callicrate
- Organization for Competitive Markets
- pink slime
- Ranch Foods Direct
- Rick Hughes
- Tom Vilsack
- U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance
- Vandana Shiva
Top Posts & Pages
- 9 Disappointing Facts About Chipotle
- Meatpacker Monopoly Sinks Cattle Industry - A Look Back
- Steroids – Pumping Up Beef, Athletes and Profits
- Some things don’t change - Money, power and greed lead to corruption
- Hearing on Proposed Ban on Packer Ownership of Livestock and USDA's Enforcement of the Packers & Stockyards Act
- Feedlot owner files lawsuit against KC-based meat packer
- New York Times: Warning of ‘Pig Zero’: One Drugmaker’s Push to Sell More Antibiotics
- Meat Market Slaughter - What happened to a fair, open, and competitive marketplace that once served both producers and consumers?
- Rigged Markets, and False Choices
- The Four Recommendations of the Federal Trade Commission Regarding the Meat Packing Industry
National News Supplement
Tag Archives: Supreme Court
Foodopoly: The Battle Over the Future of Food and Farming in America Wenonah Hauter grew up on a family farm that her husband runs today as a Community Supported Agriculture Project (CSA), which is part of the growing local food … Continue reading
Clarence and Virginia Thomas share a good laugh with attendees at a Utah Supreme Court swearing-in ceremony, 07/19/10. (photo: AP) Clarence Thomas’ Dangerous Conceit By Jonathan Turley, Los Angeles Times 06 March 11 The Supreme Court justice argues that … Continue reading