Stay Informed!Subscribe to information and news updates related to farming, food and health issues, click here!
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- This Cattleman's Got A Beef
Photo: Sean Cayton - 2003People producing good food from happy animals, while improving the environment, shouldn’t have to fear the government.
Photo above featured in a 2003 article: This cattleman's got a beef, Mike Callicrate and Ranch Foods Direct take on the big meat packers by Kathryn Eastburn
- BIG Food Exposed
- Great Ranches of the West
Purchase Great Ranches of the West for only $34.95 and $20 will go to an Organization or Project of your choice!
"An eye opening and heart touching portrait of a culture and industry that we are in great danger of losing. This book will help readers understand the urgency of preserving the Western ranchlands inhabited by families and rural communities that provide nourishing food for our nation, preserve a healthy natural environment and entrust that great American values will endure."
- Mike Callicrate
An Endangered Species
Every month 1,000 ranches go out of production. It's the national security issue that no one is talking about.
Food Policy & LawE. Coli Confessions Part I
by John Munsell | Oct 11, 2011
Editor's Note: This is the first part in a series written by John Munsell of Miles City, MT, who explains how the small meat plant his family owned for 59 years ran afoul of USDA's meat inspection program. The events he writes about began a decade ago, but remain relevant today.
They say that confession is good for the soul. I've been involved in a series of ugly events since my plant in 2002 recalled 270 pounds of ground beef contaminated with E.coli O157:H7 and now want to admit the embarrassing truth for public review. more
- advanced meat recovery
- beef checkoff
- Big Food
- Callicrate Beef
- Callicrate Cattle Co.
- Colorado Springs
- Dudley Butler
- e. coli
- Eric Schlosser
- fast food nation
- food Inc.
- Industrial Agriculture
- meat packers
- Mike Callicrate
- Organization for Competitive Markets
- pink slime
- Ranch Foods Direct
- Rick Hughes
- Tom Vilsack
- U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance
- Vandana Shiva
Top Posts & Pages
- 9 Disappointing Facts About Chipotle
- Washington is investigating the IBP meatpacking plant after a secretly shot video shows cows kicking while being butchered
- Kansas Livestock Association Hijacks State’s Beef Checkoff
- Beef's Reputation On Sale - Price Shoppers Beware!
- The deck is stacked against family farmers. Here’s one rancher’s powerful response.
- NY Times: At Hamburger Central, Antibiotics for Cattle That Aren’t Sick
- Today I’m thinking about hungry people, farmers, ranchers, exploited contract growers and abused food workers
- Meat That Tests Positive For E. Coli Is Cooked And Sold In Human And Pet Food
- Trolley and Carcass Rails - Taking people where they want to go...
- McDonald's Angus, Mushroom & Swiss Burger - Delivering way more than meat
National News Supplement
Category Archives: General Advocacy
by Gilles Stockton | January 2, 2019 We brand our calves to prevent theft and it works pretty good, but because Department of Agriculture Secretary Purdue withdrew the GIPSA Rules, once those cattle reach a slaughter plant, rustling is condoned. … Continue reading
—courtesy of Tom Giessel The farmers should not be bamboozled into the idea that a better farm education, diversity of crops or experiments in agriculture are to be of much benefit. Let farmers take the robber economic system of this … Continue reading
To view or download the presentation, click here.
by Jeanne Davant | November 1, 2018 Raising and selling top-quality meats puts bread on Mike Callicrate’s table. But activism feeds his soul. The owner of Ranch Foods Direct has been a passionate advocate for family farmers and small businesses … Continue reading
— courtesy of Tom Giessel Thomas Jefferson, in a letter written to William Johnson spoke of the industrial and plantation barons of his day as follows: Still further to constrain the brute force of the people they deem it necessary … Continue reading