Stay Informed!Subscribe to information and news updates related to farming, food and health issues, click here!
Follow me on TwitterMy Tweets
- This Cattleman's Got A Beef
Photo: Sean Cayton - 2003People producing good food from happy animals, while improving the environment, shouldn’t have to fear the government.
Photo above featured in a 2003 article: This cattleman's got a beef, Mike Callicrate and Ranch Foods Direct take on the big meat packers by Kathryn Eastburn
- BIG Food Exposed
- Great Ranches of the West
Purchase Great Ranches of the West for only $34.95 and $20 will go to an Organization or Project of your choice!
"An eye opening and heart touching portrait of a culture and industry that we are in great danger of losing. This book will help readers understand the urgency of preserving the Western ranchlands inhabited by families and rural communities that provide nourishing food for our nation, preserve a healthy natural environment and entrust that great American values will endure."
- Mike Callicrate
An Endangered Species
Every month 1,000 ranches go out of production. It's the national security issue that no one is talking about.
Food Policy & LawE. Coli Confessions Part I
by John Munsell | Oct 11, 2011
Editor's Note: This is the first part in a series written by John Munsell of Miles City, MT, who explains how the small meat plant his family owned for 59 years ran afoul of USDA's meat inspection program. The events he writes about began a decade ago, but remain relevant today.
They say that confession is good for the soul. I've been involved in a series of ugly events since my plant in 2002 recalled 270 pounds of ground beef contaminated with E.coli O157:H7 and now want to admit the embarrassing truth for public review. more
- advanced meat recovery
- beef checkoff
- Big Food
- Callicrate Beef
- Callicrate Cattle Co.
- Colorado Springs
- Dudley Butler
- e. coli
- Eric Schlosser
- fast food nation
- food Inc.
- Industrial Agriculture
- meat packers
- Mike Callicrate
- Organization for Competitive Markets
- pink slime
- Ranch Foods Direct
- Rick Hughes
- Tom Vilsack
- U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance
- Vandana Shiva
Top Posts & Pages
- Beef's Reputation On Sale - Price Shoppers Beware!
- 9 Disappointing Facts About Chipotle
- Normalize from Reality: Musing on the Rural-Urban Political Divide and The Future of Food
- Just Say No to Cell-Cultured Meat
- Washington is investigating the IBP meatpacking plant after a secretly shot video shows cows kicking while being butchered
- Vicious Circles - Big meat packers continue to suck the blood out of cattle industry
- Colorado Springs Business Journal: Rancher-retailer has a beef with Big Food
- McDonald's Angus, Mushroom & Swiss Burger - Delivering way more than meat
- Upton Sinclair - School Lunch
National News Supplement
Author Archives: Mike Callicrate
by Gilles Stockton | March 15, 2019 In 1968, when I was just twenty-two and recently out of college, I, along with a dozen guys of my same age and circumstances, was sent to Somalia to teach Somali farmers the … Continue reading
by Mike Callicrate | March 4, 2019 Re-creating meat in a laboratory won’t mitigate climate change, it won’t provide us with the nutrient-dense traditional foods our bodies crave, and it won’t bring much-needed improvements to our existing food system or … Continue reading
posted January 2, 2019 “Capitalism without competition is not capitalism.” — The hidden reason economic inequality is on the rise is right in front our noses.