Stay Informed!Subscribe to information and news updates related to farming, food and health issues, click here!
“The money and political power of Wall Street has stolen America’s food system, bankrupted our farmers and ranchers, mined our soils, polluted our environment, wasted our precious water, and left us with expensive industrially produced food that makes us sick.” – Occupy Wall Street Food Day, December 2011
Above: Ranching Reboot – Episode 4 – Mike Callicrate, owner of Ranch Foods Direct, sat down with us to talk about all manner of things from cattle markets, to public food spaces, the Bander, his feedlot and the pathway he built to market.
He shares valuable lessons learned from fighting against the commodity production system and how he’s built his own pathway to the consumer.
We talk about small community slaughter plants and public meat spaces and what that could look like going in to the future. We discuss environmental challenges, the food police and what it means when a Dollar General comes to town.
Mike’s Social Media
Live Twitter FeedMy Tweets
- This Cattleman's Got A Beef
Photo: Sean Cayton - 2003People producing good food from happy animals, while improving the environment, shouldn’t have to fear the government.
Photo above featured in a 2003 article: This cattleman's got a beef, Mike Callicrate and Ranch Foods Direct take on the big meat packersby Kathryn Eastburn
- BIG Food Exposed
Food Policy & LawE. Coli Confessions Part I
by John Munsell | Oct 11, 2011
Editor's Note: This is the first part in a series written by John Munsell of Miles City, MT, who explains how the small meat plant his family owned for 59 years ran afoul of USDA's meat inspection program. The events he writes about began a decade ago, but remain relevant today.
They say that confession is good for the soul. I've been involved in a series of ugly events since my plant in 2002 recalled 270 pounds of ground beef contaminated with E.coli O157:H7 and now want to admit the embarrassing truth for public review. more
- advanced meat recovery
- beef checkoff
- Big Food
- Callicrate Beef
- Callicrate Cattle Co.
- Colorado Springs
- Dudley Butler
- e. coli
- fast food nation
- food Inc.
- Industrial Agriculture
- Joe Maxwell
- meat packers
- Mike Callicrate
- Organization for Competitive Markets
- pink slime
- Ranch Foods Direct
- Rick Hughes
- St Francis KS
- Tom Vilsack
- U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance
Top Posts & Pages
- 9 Disappointing Facts About Chipotle
- Beef's Reputation On Sale - Price Shoppers Beware!
- What about the PRIME Act? - Emergency Measures to Protect the US Meat Supply During and After the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Meat Consumption a Century Ago vs. Today - What if?
- “Fighting for the U.S. Cattle Producer” News Conference, and Live Internet Broadcast Audio, at Callicrate Cattle Co at 1:00PM CST - Recorded on 09/20/2011
- Like GM, Food Companies Place Profits Over Safety and Security
- BUSINESS MODELS - LARGE AND SMALL
- Education is the foundation of good citizenship and good citizenship is essential to good government.
- Letter to Congressman Lamborn Concerning FSA and Recall - A Plea for sanity!
National News Supplement
Tag Archives: Roundup
Why You Can Thank Dan Quayle for 20 Years of Policy That Keeps Americans in the Dark About Their Food
AlterNet / By Dave Murphy | May 29, 2012 More than a million people have asked the FDA for mandatory labeling of genetically engineered food, yet we still don’t have it. Why? Here’s a little history lesson. Popular resistance is … Continue reading