Stay Informed!Subscribe to information and news updates related to farming, food and health issues, click here!
“The money and political power of Wall Street has stolen America’s food system, bankrupted our farmers and ranchers, mined our soils, polluted our environment, wasted our precious water, and left us with expensive industrially produced food that makes us sick.” – Occupy Wall Street Food Day, December 2011
Above: Ranching Reboot – Episode 4 – Mike Callicrate, owner of Ranch Foods Direct, sat down with us to talk about all manner of things from cattle markets, to public food spaces, the Bander, his feedlot and the pathway he built to market.
He shares valuable lessons learned from fighting against the commodity production system and how he’s built his own pathway to the consumer.
We talk about small community slaughter plants and public meat spaces and what that could look like going in to the future. We discuss environmental challenges, the food police and what it means when a Dollar General comes to town.
Mike’s Social Media
Live Twitter FeedMy Tweets
- This Cattleman's Got A Beef
Photo: Sean Cayton - 2003People producing good food from happy animals, while improving the environment, shouldn’t have to fear the government.
Photo above featured in a 2003 article: This cattleman's got a beef, Mike Callicrate and Ranch Foods Direct take on the big meat packersby Kathryn Eastburn
- BIG Food Exposed
Food Policy & LawE. Coli Confessions Part I
by John Munsell | Oct 11, 2011
Editor's Note: This is the first part in a series written by John Munsell of Miles City, MT, who explains how the small meat plant his family owned for 59 years ran afoul of USDA's meat inspection program. The events he writes about began a decade ago, but remain relevant today.
They say that confession is good for the soul. I've been involved in a series of ugly events since my plant in 2002 recalled 270 pounds of ground beef contaminated with E.coli O157:H7 and now want to admit the embarrassing truth for public review. more
- advanced meat recovery
- beef checkoff
- Big Food
- Callicrate Beef
- Callicrate Cattle Co.
- Colorado Springs
- Dudley Butler
- e. coli
- fast food nation
- food Inc.
- Industrial Agriculture
- Joe Maxwell
- meat packers
- Mike Callicrate
- Organization for Competitive Markets
- pink slime
- Ranch Foods Direct
- Rick Hughes
- St Francis KS
- Tom Vilsack
- U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance
Top Posts & Pages
- 9 Disappointing Facts About Chipotle
- Beef's Reputation On Sale - Price Shoppers Beware!
- What about the PRIME Act? - Emergency Measures to Protect the US Meat Supply During and After the COVID-19 Pandemic
- The Current State of U.S. Agriculture and Food Infrastructure, and Solutions
- Pink Slime: Dark Side of Industrial Food System Exposed
- Salt, Water, and Soil - When it’s gone, they leave
- Vicious Circles - Big meat packers continue to suck the blood out of cattle industry
- Story of the Steer and a Theft of Epic Proportions
- The Defining Moment - When Big Chicken Bought Big Beef
- Chipotle: Selling Idealism - Delivering the opposite
National News Supplement
Tag Archives: Wal-Mart
UCCS What If People Knew? – Winter 2012 from Ranch Foods Direct “People are fed by the Food Industry, which pays no attention to health, and are treated by the Health Industry which pays no attention to food.” Wendell Berry … Continue reading