Stay Informed!Subscribe to information and news updates related to farming, food and health issues, click here!
“The money and political power of Wall Street has stolen America’s food system, bankrupted our farmers and ranchers, mined our soils, polluted our environment, wasted our precious water, and left us with expensive industrially produced food that makes us sick.” – Occupy Wall Street Food Day, December 2011
Mike’s Social Media
Live Twitter FeedMy Tweets
- This Cattleman's Got A Beef
Photo: Sean Cayton - 2003People producing good food from happy animals, while improving the environment, shouldn’t have to fear the government.
Photo above featured in a 2003 article: This cattleman's got a beef, Mike Callicrate and Ranch Foods Direct take on the big meat packersby Kathryn Eastburn
- BIG Food Exposed
Food Policy & LawE. Coli Confessions Part I
by John Munsell | Oct 11, 2011
Editor's Note: This is the first part in a series written by John Munsell of Miles City, MT, who explains how the small meat plant his family owned for 59 years ran afoul of USDA's meat inspection program. The events he writes about began a decade ago, but remain relevant today.
They say that confession is good for the soul. I've been involved in a series of ugly events since my plant in 2002 recalled 270 pounds of ground beef contaminated with E.coli O157:H7 and now want to admit the embarrassing truth for public review. more
- advanced meat recovery
- beef checkoff
- Big Food
- Callicrate Beef
- Callicrate Cattle Co.
- Colorado Springs
- Dudley Butler
- e. coli
- Eric Schlosser
- fast food nation
- food Inc.
- Industrial Agriculture
- meat packers
- Mike Callicrate
- Organization for Competitive Markets
- pink slime
- Ranch Foods Direct
- Rick Hughes
- Tom Vilsack
- U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance
- Vandana Shiva
Top Posts & Pages
- 9 Disappointing Facts About Chipotle
- Building Community Around Local Food - Montana Organic Association (MOA) 2020 Conference
- Why Can’t We Do What Our Great Granddads Did?
- Vicious Circles - Big meat packers continue to suck the blood out of cattle industry
- Vice: Meathooked and End of Water
- Meatpacker Monopoly Sinks Cattle Industry - A Look Back
- Some things don’t change - Money, power and greed lead to corruption
- Subscription Services
- Washington is investigating the IBP meatpacking plant after a secretly shot video shows cows kicking while being butchered
- America Returns to the Jungle
National News Supplement
Tag Archives: Kansas Livestock Association
Refusing to believe something doesn’t make it untrue In last week’s Atlantic article, Farmland Without Farmers, Wendell Berry describes how industrial agriculture has replaced men with machines, depriving the American landscape of its stewards and the culture they built. He … Continue reading
I never liked being taxed to fund “Government Speech,” so OCM’s lawsuit against U.S.D.A and it’s mismanagement of the cow-tax was the best news I’ve heard this long, hot, dry summer. And if Callicrate was sharp enough to con HSUS … Continue reading