Stay Informed!Subscribe to information and news updates related to farming, food and health issues, click here!
“The money and political power of Wall Street has stolen America’s food system, bankrupted our farmers and ranchers, mined our soils, polluted our environment, wasted our precious water, and left us with expensive industrially produced food that makes us sick.” – Occupy Wall Street Food Day, December 2011
Above: Ranching Reboot – Episode 4 – Mike Callicrate, owner of Ranch Foods Direct, sat down with us to talk about all manner of things from cattle markets, to public food spaces, the Bander, his feedlot and the pathway he built to market.
He shares valuable lessons learned from fighting against the commodity production system and how he’s built his own pathway to the consumer.
We talk about small community slaughter plants and public meat spaces and what that could look like going in to the future. We discuss environmental challenges, the food police and what it means when a Dollar General comes to town.
Mike’s Social Media
Live Twitter FeedMy Tweets
- This Cattleman's Got A Beef
Photo: Sean Cayton - 2003People producing good food from happy animals, while improving the environment, shouldn’t have to fear the government.
Photo above featured in a 2003 article: This cattleman's got a beef, Mike Callicrate and Ranch Foods Direct take on the big meat packersby Kathryn Eastburn
- BIG Food Exposed
Food Policy & LawE. Coli Confessions Part I
by John Munsell | Oct 11, 2011
Editor's Note: This is the first part in a series written by John Munsell of Miles City, MT, who explains how the small meat plant his family owned for 59 years ran afoul of USDA's meat inspection program. The events he writes about began a decade ago, but remain relevant today.
They say that confession is good for the soul. I've been involved in a series of ugly events since my plant in 2002 recalled 270 pounds of ground beef contaminated with E.coli O157:H7 and now want to admit the embarrassing truth for public review. more
- advanced meat recovery
- beef checkoff
- Big Food
- Callicrate Beef
- Callicrate Cattle Co.
- Colorado Springs
- Dudley Butler
- e. coli
- fast food nation
- food Inc.
- Industrial Agriculture
- Joe Maxwell
- meat packers
- Mike Callicrate
- Organization for Competitive Markets
- pink slime
- Ranch Foods Direct
- Rick Hughes
- St Francis KS
- Tom Vilsack
- U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance
Top Posts & Pages
- 9 Disappointing Facts About Chipotle
- We were warned about corporate power, crooked politicians, and big money ...
- Story of the Steer and a Theft of Epic Proportions
- Vice: Meathooked and End of Water
- Meat Consumption a Century Ago vs. Today - What if?
- Vicious Circles - Big meat packers continue to suck the blood out of cattle industry
- The Ethics of Eating: Why Eating is a Moral Act - 2013 Catholic Media Conference Presentation
- How much income has the cattle producer lost to the meatpacking and Big Food cartel?
- Ban On Meat Packer Ownership: Too Little, Too Late
National News Supplement
Tag Archives: Food Mythbusters
The biggest players in the food industry—from pesticide pushers to fertilizer makers to food processors and manufacturers—spend billions of dollars every year not selling food, but selling the idea that we need their products to feed the world. But, do … Continue reading →